Saturday, October 18, 2008

Our Family preparations:

Mom stopped by and we put her to work helping us bottle our honey.  Here's a pic of some of the sticky mess.  I've never had such a sweet and sticky experience.  We started beekeeping this year with two hives and only had one do well enough to get honey from but it was a lot of honey.  I think we  harvested close to 100 lbs of honey!!!  It was alot more work than I had anticipated (plus I was pregnant and sick). But the rewards are SWEET!!
The CHICKENS!
So this was an adventure worth appreciating.  Thank You chicken processing plants!!  And THANKS to all those poor workers who cut up chickens for a living!  This thurs. we killed 15 roosters...and what can I say.  It was GROSSE.  From cutting off the heads to dipping them in hot water and plucking off the wet feathers....and then.... gutting them and trying not to cut into anything that would leak out fecal matter and then chopping them up.... OH Lordy!!!  I am not a pioneer woman.  BUT... I did bake bread, made dried fruit leather, and butchered chickens all in one day.  Thank goodness I didn't have to wash clothes by hand, grind my own wheat, and start a fire for a warm shower.  Those pioneer women are hard core Babes!!!
The guts, heart, liver, chicken necks, entrails, viscerals,fat chunks...  I food service cleaned the place after this mess.  
Here's the finished product. Cut and ready to eat, although, by the end ( we were up till 11pm working on these birds) I didn't think it looked very appetizing.

3 comments:

Nakki said...

Wow. Look intense. I'm not sure I'd have the will? to gut chickens. I'll have to review your final product next time I visit. Hopefully chicken and waffles will be on the menu. GREAT PLAN. :) Good job sister :)

Nava_jo said...

I somewhat agree. I am fine with making fruit leather, baking bread, honey and whatever. But gutting 15 chickens then cutting them up... It makes me thankful that chicken is cheap.

Vee your a superwomen. YOur post made me tired! You are doing LONG days pregnant.

Josh and Tawnya Begay said...

yeah for family preparedness!!!! good job vee!! It's awesome you guys are on top of things.. it's definitely a happy reminder of what we need to be doing too..canning..food storage..

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Photoshop Brushes Obsidian Dawn